Friday 2 November 2012

Hints on submissions

I've seen a lot of questions and seen a lot of confusion about submissions and the guidelines for publishers so I thought I'd share some tips and lessons I've learned along the way.
I often get asked why it is so important to double line space, margins a certain distance etc and I explain it like this. When you go for a job interview you want to look your best the same applies to your manuscript. If you take the time it shows you are serious about what you are doing and make a good first impression.

1) Always always always read the guide lines they can vary from publisher to publisher.

2) Get used to typing in double line space it's what most publishers as agencies want.

3) Before you send any work proof read properly sounds simple but you will be amazed how many writers don't.

4) A good covering letter short sweet and to the point. This is another chance to make a good impression.

5) A synopsis needs to be short and concise no more than around 600 words. Include major plot points and the ending tell the story without telling the story.

I'm still learning the craft but these are tips I wanted to share.
Good luck with your writing and finding a publisher.
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment