Tuesday 31 July 2012

Characters and keeping faith

Every author dreams of that moment when a publishing company takes their manuscript and says 'yes we'll publish" in the mean time it can be a little soul destroying dealing with rejection after rejection or even worse not hearing anything at all. So the big question is how do you keep the faith in your work. I thought I'd offer a few tips from my own experience and from others who have been kind enough to offer advice.
1 - Get friends and family to read your work and give an honest review they will be able to point out those little tweeks that mean all difference.
2- It's difficult but don't give up remember all dreams are worth chasing and even established authors had to start somewhere.
3- Make sure you enjoy what you are writing, its a guarantee that the more you enjoy writing the better the flow of creativitiy.
4 - I opted for self publishing in the mean time through Amazon create space there is nothing quite like holding your work in your hands as a real book.
5 - Use social networks to share your trials and tribulations support from others can mean all the difference especially from those that have been there.

Another passion of mine within my writing is to make the characters as life like as possible and being able to relate to them. We all know the greatest stories are those where we live the highs and lows of the characters we read about. I like to give my characters a full range of emotions, no single protaginist can be pure and right all the time. I make them fell anger and hate the same with my antagonist they are not just full of hate and anger. The grey areas even in something a far from reality as fantasy gives a real depth and something I try to put into my work.

But the best tip I can give is let as many people possible know your work is out there its no time to be a wall flower.

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment