Sunday 23 September 2012

Stepping outside of my comfort zone

I think it's important as writers to occasionally step outside our comfort zone. Even if we are the only ones to see that short story or side project I think doing so improves the craft of writing that we are trying to perfect. I like to have a couple of side projects that I dip in and out of just to keep my work fresh. I often find I can draw things into my regular writing that I may otherwise miss. Last week I took what I thought was personally a brave decision to start a book around a subject that is very personal and dear to my heart. Domestic violence I have my own tale to tell but that is for my book. The reasons I decided to do this was on one hand personal and the other on a much wider level. One I want to help break the taboo that surrounds this topic and in the hope of speaking out more people will in turn speak out. The second is to exorcise a few of my own demons. I've been toying with the idea for a while now but after watching the film precious it really inspired me to take this brave leap forward. So over the coming weeks I'll be posting here on my blog my ups and downs and how I am progressing not only with the writing but how it is helping me as a writer. I fully expect this to be quite a journey but one that should help me become a better writer. Hope you will join me on the journey
Good writing
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I so enjoyed your blogspot. You have great ideas and suggestions. Good luck with all your projects. Will be talking to you again soon.

    ReplyDelete