Monday 13 August 2012

Music, writing and marketing

With all the drama of the Olympics I must confess I've been distracted from more than just my writing. I am a great lover of of music and my vinyl collection as well as my pen has been idle. I often have music on when I am writing it gives me a sense of rythem and of flow. I often find my best ideas come to me while I'm listening to a piece of music or doing something compeltly inane. An iPhone has been a good send as I can tap any ideas as soon as I get them.

Marketing is another thing I've been distracted from, one thing I've found is that writing the book was the easy part marketing is another thing all together. Like most of us I'm happier behind a keyboard or with pen and paper in hand but that doesn't sell books. I thought I'd share a few of my ideas that don't cost the earth to help promote your work.

1- Make a business style card for your book and for your self Moo.com have good deals for new customers. I put the cover of my book on one side and twitter and email info on the back. I've given these to bookshops, left them at my local hair dressers and coffee shops along with some flyers I made.

2- Get in contact with local newspapers and local radio they are always interested in stories that involve real people from their area.

3- Email news programs there's no guarennte you'll get a rely but what have you got to lose.

4 - Contact libraries arrange readings

5- Volenteer to do a reading at local hospitals, children's wards if it's a children's book bring some happiness and spread the word

6- Posters where ever you can get them put up community notice boards are a good start

7 - Blogs and reviews get in contact with forums and blogs build a repur and then ask if they would do a review or a piece on your work

These are just a few ideas I've had and am trying out. My best advice be creative marketing doesn't need to cost the earth. Best of luck to all of you with your writing

No comments:

Post a Comment