Thursday 9 August 2012

Olympics and peeves as a reader

Wow what an Olympic games its been and not just for team GB but for others involved. I must confess it has distracted me from writing and blogging. I'm not afraid to say writing has been a struggle this week but the words are flowing again now and my health has taken a step on the up for the time being so I'm going to take advantage.
 I saw a piece on Facebook today and thought I'd take the point and expand it further on my blog. As a reader (not a writer) what really puts you off a book or puts you off reading further so I thought I would share a few of my bug bears and I hope you share yours as it will help not just me but anyone whos reading and wants to be a writer:

- My main peeve is clunky plots that dont flow, sometimes a book starts with such promise but then looses it's sense of direction like it forgets what story its trying to tell.

- Characters I can't relate to, like everyone I love a good battle between good and evil but I like the murkey areas in between heros shouldnt be whiter than white and villians shouldnt be blacker than black

- Description for the sake of description just to fill pages, I like the scene to be set but I want to know what is happening to my character and their thoughts and feelings thats what we want to know. clothing and surroundings do not need to be described but not down to the atom. Its atmosphere that works from me.

What are your peeves as a reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment