Tuesday 28 August 2012

Story development

A dilemma I found myself in yesterday, what direction do I take my characters in, one in particular I had several ideas and found myself bogged down trying to write everything down and melding all my ideas together. So I thought I'd share a couple of tips I've come across with you all. In some ways I think this can be a main cause for writers block especially for me.

The first is something similar to a method drummed into me for revision when I was at school. I drew a flow chart tracking all of my ideas and how they would map out, with everything clear I could pick the best thread for my work.

The second and slightly more unusual method suggested to me was using tarot cards to map out a possible path for the character. Now you have to bare with me I did find this strange to start with and more than a little odd but gave it a go anyways. Now it's not fail safe and not one that I would use often but it did give a some ideas and a different perseptive on how my character may react to different situations and problems.

The third method is another I subject my partner to (I think a part of me must be a sadist) I take my rough manuscript and get him to read it. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can give a new persepctive and also if you have an honest victim they can tell what is working and what isnt. If any of you are like me you know exactly what you are trying say but don't always get it down in the right way the first few times.

Happy  reading and writing all.....

Lauren xxx

1 comment:

  1. That tarot card idea is fascinating! I'll have to try it. ASMSG.

    ReplyDelete